Monday, August 3, 2009

A Day of Life as a Volunteer @ HCH

Many folks have asked what it is like living here in Haiti and working at HCH. As a volunteer here at HCH I feel that I have a pretty good idea of what day to day life is like in our home. I arrived in at 10:30 am on yesterday. We got some lunch and then went grocery shopping. During our pretty relaxed shopping we got a call that one of the local pastors who had been sent home to die; needed an iv. Our relaxed shopping turned into a very quick run through the store to ensure we had dinner for our family, volunteers, and 41 orphan children. We then took our 1 1/2 hour journey up the mountain, dodging reckless drivers, and driving acrossed questionable bridges. I was simply thankful that we didn't have to go acrossed in the boats as I did last time. We arrived home to grab medical supplies and then on to the pastor's house. Melinda got the iv in and tried to make him as comfortable as possible amidst the scorching temp with only a fan blowing on him. We visited for a few minutes and then left.

Once arriving home we had lunch and then I slept as I was exhausted from only a few hours sleep the night before. Upon waking; I helped hold a baby down while getting an iv as she was quite dehydrated. I then made my rounds loving and playing with the kids. Our houseboy then came in with a cut running down his leg. Pat then had to send for and administer a tetanus shot to him. Shortly after that one of our two year olds was brought up with labored breathing. I administered a breathing treatment to help his breathing. We then finally sit down to have our dinner and yes by now it is 10:30 at night.

Is it busy; yes it is so busy. Just when you think you might have a break; somebody comes in whether it be one of our children or somebody from the community needing medical care or just attention. It is rewarding; but very busy all at the same time.

No comments: